Saturday, May 24, 2008

Japan... finally

Well, I'm in Japan! I got here May 20th. I didn't sleep at all on the plane... I wish I would have! I have jet lag really bad... It's about 4:15am (2:15pm in Austin) here and I'm wide awake. The strangest thing is that the sun starts rising around 4:00am, so it's fully lit around 4:30. Nothing in Yokohama opens until about 10am, and it closes around 8pm (except the bars, they close around 12am). You see little kids around 5 or 6 walking around by themselves, it's really strange. They go to school by themselves; you could leave your purse on the side of the road and more than likely it would still be there in tact when you came back.
From my bedroom window I can see Chinatown. It's the biggest Chinatown in Japan. The food there is AWESOME. The shops are interesting. I ate sushi the other night with my dad, and it's not regular sushi like the states... it's all sashimi, which is fine. We sat at the bar so we could see the chef preparing the sushi. We got Japanese tea and a set of sushi. I ate everything on my plate except one thing, it had baby sardines on it. I don't think anyone has seen a baby sardine, but they look like little tiny minnows; slimy, and unappetizing. The sushi chef could tell that I wasn't going to eat it, and he couldn't speak English, but all he said to me was, "Challenge". So, I ate it, and it was not good at all, but when a sushi chef challenges you, you have to take it!
I have to say that I feel really weird not knowing the language, you are all of a sudden deaf and dumb and have to resort to hand signs. I know a little, but not nearly enough to hold a conversation at all.
I am continuing to study... It's really hard, and intimidating.
I haven't done anything extremely exciting yet... I've been exhausted! But, I should be soon.
Dewa mata!

No comments: