Friday, May 30, 2008

just some thoughts...

I have been here for a little more than a week now. I still don't know what to think about this place. I kind of feel like I'm in the states, but I just don't understand anything being said, or anything written. It's a very different place, but also the same. It is really hard to explain. I really like the subway system, I wish we had one, I would not have a car if we did. I am defiantly walking more to places in Austin, because being here shows me how easy it really is to just walk to the grocery store, etc.

There are so many Japanese here, I know that it IS Japan, but there is not diversity at all. It's not a bad thing, just an observation. It's kind of lonely though. The Japanese do not smile at anyone when they pass in the street, they look down at the ground and just pass. But one day, I passed this Indian family on the street, and the woman gave me the biggest smile and I smiled back to her; it was comforting to see someone else that isn't from Japan.

I love it here though. Despite all the differences of my culture and theirs. It is really fulfilling to be able to live in another way than what you are used to. It broadens the mind. It makes you feel small at first, then you feel as if you can handle anything that comes your way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's something really funny and poignant about you smiling to that Indian family. Haha, I'm still laughing about it (thoughtful laughter, ha).